Dave in Australia

I've now left Malaysia... I had an absolutely awesome time... words can't describe... I loved it soo much! In australia with my good friend Jonny now, visiting him in the University of Western Australia for a couple of weeks before heading home...

Sunday, August 6

kuala selangor...


Time is moving so quickly, it doesn't seem like very long at all since i was last sitting here at this computer checking my emails before we headed off for the weekend... but now i'm back almost in the blink of an eye... had a really great weekend though... this is what we did:

We drove to Kuala Selangor (i think there were 20 of us in total) shortly after lunch time on saturday, and after a night of little sleep on friday (my own fault i stayed up late playing a game with Chuen Hoe) I was fully expecting to sleep in the car like I usually do, and I was tired, but I was also fascinated by the scenery so I strived to stay awake and watch as we drove past forests of palm trees (specially planted to obtain palm oil) and rubber trees... also a fair few sizeable mosques and temples...

We arrived at a quite little town past Kuala Selangor where we were to be staying and got out of the cars... but no-one seemed to know what we were meant to be doing... so we just kind of wandered round a bit, some people disappeared to get bags of cendol (like green jelly worms, served with beans in an ice cold brown sugary drink - very refreshing) while todd and i had a look in a truely awful souvenir shop... after this little stop came to nothing we got back into the cars and drove to our appartment (a deceptive place, on the outside it didn't look like it would house us for the night, however on the inside it was more than adequate with five bedrooms and two bathrooms, it was a little crowded but we got by fine). We played a couple of games to ensure that everyone was aquainted with each other (the kind of organised fun that makes me cringe... I realised pretty early that I had to swallow my pride and join in and we had a good laugh!)

We had tea in a seafood restaurant (Kuala Selangor has a huge river running through it so there is seafood aplenty :-)) and split our group into two tables... I sat next to a guy called Kai Yit who we met in the first week and comes to english class, he's a really nice guy and I had a great time chatting to him while we ate... we had all manner of different seafood... including something called bamboo clams (look a lot like small sticks of bamboo, but with little worm things living inside - yummy!)... after this we got lost driving around and then made it to the firefly park...

This was an experience to be savoured, we split into groups of three and four, clothed ourselves in life jackets and got into little canoes... and a guy standing at the back rowed us up and down the river, which in itself was superb, the river lit only by the moonlight stretched far into the distance and was lined with silhoutted palm trees... to add to the experience the trees on the river banks were lit up by the glittering of thousands of fireflies flashing their lights to attract mates... altogether quite a romantic experience... (just fitting for me and todd and big guy to share!!)

The next day - today - we went drove about some paddy fields (fairly boring as we missed the harvest so they were essentially just empty fields) and stopped at a mango orchard and asked the man tending it to sell us some mangos, which he did... they weren't quite ripe so were pretty hard and also quite sour... but were about 3 times bigger than any other mango i'd seen before...



We then headed to another seafood restaurant, this time a place on stilts over the edge of the river, where we could watch boats sail by and there was a cool breeze making for a very pleasant lunch... a similar experience to the night before... we sat round a table and they brought out a plate of rice each and then filled the centre of the table with aquatic delacacies... which everyone just kind of piled in on, and there was enough for us to eat our fill... new foods from the meal today: little shell fish - not sure what they were - a bit like muscles, and crabs (i've had crab before but not this fresh and not crab accompanied by a set of hammers and nut crackers to get into them - very messy, in fact i managed to make a claw explode all over my shorts!)... Just after we finished the people at the table next to us ordered a big plate of snails to shell (sea snails) and a man noticed todd and I looking on with a mixture of curiosity and disgust.. he reacted to this by pulling a snail out of its shell (with a little stick) and offering it to us, we thanked him discussed who was actually going to eat it before agreeing to split it and both give it a try... intially it tasted quite sweet and had a kind of chewy texture, but once you got through to the middle there was a taste which wasn't that pleasant and remained for some time... we survived the ordeal but I'm not sure that I'll be ordering snails again in a hurry!

We got back in our cars and I once again kept myself awake so that I wouldn't miss anything on the ride home

I think I'm getting a cold, please pray that it'll leave me alone fairly quickly as I'm really having a good time and don't want that to spoil it...

14 Comments:

At 10:47 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first nite we had it in Sekinchan. Then we drove to Kuala Selangor for fireflies.

 
At 10:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for that mr or mrs anonymous...

as I feared I've woken up this morning with a full blown cold... and I'm feeling pretty rough, after taking advice I've decided to spend today in bed and try and get rid of it quickly... I'm keeping my morale up by reminding myself that its not the worst thing in the world and being thankful that i have a cold rather than diorrhea or something worse!

 
At 2:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've had an amazing weekend. We're continuing to pray for you and I know how bad you feel when you've got a cold - might be a good time to remind yourself of your thoughts from last week about God changing us rather than our circumstances.

We had a great weekend with Melene, Trevor and the kids and I've just finished a long stint painting at the manse. I'll be going back tomorrow for more of the same! Melene and Trevor picked loads of plums for us yetserday so now I need to go and do something witrh them .... her comes next year's supply of jam and plum sauce!

Loads of love

Mum
xxxx

 
At 5:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dave I had a thought about what you were asking me to comment on. Deep stuff mate you really had your thinknig on. Something i've really been benefitting from is confession. And really specific confession at that. THe whole principle of dragging sinful thoughts and desires out into the light and seeing them as God sees them. Then it is good to think about repenting and doing things God's way rather than our way. When we consider the alternatives then we see that God's way is infinitely better, which then brings a desire and a satifaction in god. Hope you are well man i'm missing you. It sounds like your having a ball. I'm a bit I have got a date on Wed! Is there anything i can pray for you at the mo?
Love Nate x

 
At 2:21 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How are you feeling today/tonight? Hopefully a lot better. Been telling others about your tthoughts from the other day and how the situation we're in with the manse is one where we need God to change us rather than the situtaion....helpful thoughts - keep them coming.

Take care, lots of love

Mum
xxx

 
At 3:18 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha Nates got a date! :)

Hehe, hey Davey! Kat here! Just thought id do a quick post as i found your blog...glad everythings going well. Alls good here, dodging malaria here, dodging a yellow taxi about to run me over there...but alls good! :)

Hope you feel better. Miss you and anyone else reading that that knows me!!!

Love yous all! Cheers for the updates mate. See you soon. Blesings in Jesus in your work and play time

Kat

P.S Have fun on wednesday nate!!!

 
At 10:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey nate,

good stuff, who's your date with?

hey kat,

how is cameroon? what you been doing there? good to hear from you

hi mum,

my cold is going through phases, the first day was a snotty and throaty one, then headachey yesterday, still headachey today but have a slightly clearer nose...

 
At 5:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

Found your blog after a bit of hunting. Love the descriptive long stories, gives me a real feel for the place. Not so sure about descriptive cold passages - will ask Jesus to help you out.

Sounds like your having a good time. How is your american culture shock? Worse than Malay?

I was taken with this verse in my jesus time yesterday - Luke 21:15 - very relevant to your job.

Keep the descriptions coming.

Bernard

 
At 8:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo, cameroon is AWESOME God is a legend for creating this place and the peope here, from US, Canade, England, Switzerland and many other places.

Teaching mish kids for three weeks and then heading up to the extreme north ( a three day car journey!) to live with a family and homeschool their children. Should be exciting!

So good to hear what ur doing. Will try pop by every now and then as internet access permits!

Blessings in your work mate and ass you rejoin the brit culture (whenever you do) and head back to uni.

Praying for you lots

Much love

Kat

 
At 8:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dave datewas with a friend called amy. A girl from home. Though she's got a boyfriend so i don't really think it was a date!
Oh well.

 
At 12:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gutted natey,

nevermind... you hear ben's got himself a girlfriend? (westerman that is...)

 
At 5:12 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah i heard from ben on face book. Good on him! guess that batchelor pad of ours is looming!
In 1 hour 55 mins i'll be 21 years old!

 
At 7:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry David - I'll try harder to keep him under control in future!

Love Mum

xxxx

 
At 9:40 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello anyone and everyone...

really sorry i've not updated for over a week now... we've been really busy as we've had the guys from the singapore team staying with us and we've been away together... I'll try my best to post tomorrow and fill you all in after the singapore teams go...

love you all :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home